From practice to policy: Lessons from implementing Sanitation Safety Plans
~~How can we ensure that health protection measure for sanitation and wastewater use is embedded national and city level regulations? And what works when it comes to developing and enforcing these regulations?
Since 2014, cities in four regions have be developing and implementing Sanitation Safety Plans to identify and manage risks in the sanitation service and value chain. They have developed and implemented health risk based improvement and monitoring plans and triggered city or national level changes to policies and regulations on sanitation and wastewater use. Each has encountered and addressed challenges of coordination among actors, weak or contradictory planning rules and negative perceptions of sanitation chain management and reuse.
This session will share the experience of several countries (Philippines, Uganda, Peru, Jordan and Portugal) of implementing risk assessment and management approaches (Sanitation Safety Planning) in an interactive session where participants can explore both technical aspect of risks assessment for reuse in each case as well as policy and perception challenges and response.
9:00 Opening remarks - Andreas Steiner (SDC)
9:10 Status of health risk based approaches to sanitation and wastewater use globally - what's going well, what are the challenges?
9:25 Opening summary Presentations each Sanitation Safety Plan (SSP) example - 4mins each by India, Finland, Philippines, Jordan, Peru
9:45 Introduction to speed dating - facilitated by Trevor Surridge, GIZ Zambia and Tom WIlliams, IWA
9:50 Speed dating on SSP implementation
- Jordon - Health Risk based policy and implementation - Ghada Kassab, University of Jordan
- India - SSP for FSM in small peri-urban towns - Vishwanath Srikantaiah, BIOME
- Finland - Creation of a national SSP model - Johanna Castren, Helsinki Regional Environmental Services Authority
- Philippines - Safe use of faecal sludge in Baliwag district and Quezon city- Joma Lim, LCI ENVI
- Business Models for scaling safe use of waste in Lima - Cesarina Quintana, SDC
10:20 Feedback of speed dating highlights
10:25 Closing and Outlook - Kate Medlicott, WHO