Building a resilient future through water
2017 will mark the second year of implementation of the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development, and two years since the signing of the Paris Climate Agreement. The converging of these agendas has helped build momentum towards action, and generated opportunities for water to be an entry point to the efficient, effective implementation of both agendas.
This High Level World Water Week Dialogue will serve as a platform for multi stakeholder consultation on the progress on our global water goals. The event is the second in a series of annual, multi stakeholder stocktaking events on global water development and progress at World Water Week.
This year, SIWI and its partner The Rockefeller Foundation will frame the dialogue with a specific focus on resilience as a means to interlink and holistically consider global development progress related to water and sustainability across economic, social and environmental dimensions.
The overall intention of these sessions is to inspire World Water Week delegates to joint action.
The session is divided into two parts, with a break in between:
First dialogue 09:00-10:30
Second dialogue 11:00-12:30
Science & Practice
11:00 Freshwater Resilience – an appropriate lens for charting and tracking sustainable development in the Anthropocene
Prof. Johan Rockström, Director, Stockholm Resilience Center
11:10 Advances in Practice: Insights from Mexico City/Valley of Mexico and Zambezi River basin
- Dr. Diego Rodgriguez, The World Bank
- Dr. Jacqueline Tront, The World Bank (tbc)
- Prof. Casey Brown, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
11:30 Panel discussion on resilience and water – science & practice
Moderator: Dr. Fred Boltz, Managing Director for Ecosystems, the Rockefeller Foundation
- Prof. Johan Rockström, Executive Director, Stockholm Resilience Center
- Jennifer Sara, Director Water Global Practice, The World Bank group
- Betsy Otto, Director Global Water Programme, WRI
- Dr. Mark Fletcher, Global Water Leader, Arup
- Rasmus Lauridsen, Senior Climate Specialist , European Investment Bank
- Viktoria Granström, Environmental Leader, IKEA
12:20 Concluding remarks
Henk WJ Ovink, Special Envoy for International Water Affairs, Kingdom of the Netherlands, and Sherpa to the High Level Panel on Water (tbc)
12:30 Close of session