#SIWISofa: Government leadership: the cornerstone of the new development era
A research by The Independent concluded that ”lack of government leadership remains the most serious threat to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.”
Progress in the upcoming 15 years will depend on the level of involvement of political leaders – it’s in their hands to champion water, sanitation and hygiene, to foster innovation and investment and ultimately unleash the considerable financial, social and human capacity needed to reach universal access.
As a former head of government, Mr. Kevin Rudd will speak to the duty of national governments in reaching the SDGs and the importance of prioritizing the elimination of inequalities and involving other partners in decision-making.
SWWW events where Mr. Rudd will speak:
- SWA: Contributing to the Follow-up and Review of SDG 6 (28 Aug, 14.00)
- Opening Plenary (29 Aug, 9:00)
- High Level Experts and Leaders Panel on Water and Disasters (29 Aug, 16:00)
- Upscaling the WASH-Nutrition Nexus for Sustainable (Body) Growth (30 Aug, 9:00)
- Water Prize Symposium (31 Aug, 9:00)