High Level Panel: Raising the Profile of Water Towards COP21
It is widely acknowledged that water is at the front lines of climate change. It is the primary channel through which the impacts of climate change will be felt across the key growth drivers of the global economy –agriculture, energy, industry, environment, and the urban sector. However, discussions at COP in the past have mainly focused on the issue of mitigation; while this is clearly a worldwide priority, equally important is the issue of adaptation and the understanding of the impacts of climate change on water resources and key water dependent sectors of the economy.
The objective of this event is to address water in the global climate discourse by more specifically discussing how to raise the agenda of adaptation and water at the upcoming COP21. The high level dialogue with key stakeholders will provide the opportunity to discuss ideas and concrete next steps leading up to the COP21 in Paris. The meeting will be held with a view to contribute to the Lima-Paris Action Agenda as launched by the governments of Peru and France.
14:00 - 14:10 – Welcome and Reflections by Torgny Holmgren, Executive Director, Stockholm International Water Institute
14:10 - 14:15 – Setting the Scene by Ben Braga, President, World Water Council
14:15 - 14:35 – Presentation by representatives of the Governments of France and Peru to summarize the preparation of COP21 and the role of water
14:35 – 15:25 – Talk-show style discussion moderated by Junaid Ahmad, Senior Director, Water Global Practice, World Bank Group, with close interaction with the audience.
- Hon. Christopher J. Loeak, President, Marshall Islands
- Hon. Mansour Faye, Minister for Water Resources and Sanitation, Senegal / AMCOW President
- Hon. Dr Hazim Al-Nasser, Minister of Water and Irrigation of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
- Hon. Nomvula Mokonyane, Minister of Water and Sanitation, South Africa
- Henk Ovink, Special Envoy for Water, The Netherlands
- Hela Cheikhrouhou, Executive Director, Green Climate Fund
- Blanca Elena Jiménez Cisneros, Director, Division of Water Sciences, Secretary of the International Hydrological Programme, UNESCO
- Dominic Waughray, Head of Public-Private Partnership, World Economic Forum
15:25 - 15:30 – Closing remarks by Junaid Ahmad, Senior Director, Water Global Practice, The World Bank Group